Keep your brain and body fueled between meals with these healthy snack ideas.
I strive to serve my family healthful, satisfying food. Still, someone (or everyone) is bound to claim hunger between meals. Busy brains and bodies need to stay nourished, so I’m always on the lookout for healthy snack ideas.
Check out some of our favorites:
Healthy Snack Ideas For Home
Keep a variety of these staples on hand and you’ll always have healthy snacks at home. Plan ahead and the less messy ones could also be packed for travel.
- Dates filled with peanut or almond butter
- Apples with sliced cheese and a handful of walnuts
- Tortilla chips or rice crackers with guacamole
- Veggie sticks with hummus (we like celery, carrots, cucumber and sweet peppers)
- Cheese & pretzels or Mary’s Gone Crackers with black olives or pickles (Bubbies are delicious!)
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Apple slices (or graham crackers) with Slightly Cinnamon Yogurt Dip
- Celery filled with cream cheese (or peanut or almond butter)
- Banana with peanut or almond butter and raisins
- Fresh popcorn – made with coconut oil and sea salt in our favorite popper
- Try Peanut Butter Honey Popcorn for an extra special treat!
On-The-Go Healthy Snack Ideas
Trail mixes offer so much variety in healthy snacks. Mixing your own and even bagging them up in individual portions is an easy, cost effective alternative to purchasing expensive pre-made varieties.
- Peanuts and raisins – my husband’s all-time favorite! Sometimes he adds salted almonds for variety.
- Brazil nuts (great source of selenium) & dried figs
- Raw almonds, banana chips, dried cranberries, chocolate chips
- Dried apricots, coconut chips and cashews
- Dried cherries, pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds
- A piece of dark chocolate with a handful or raw almond or walnuts – my favorite 🙂
Snacks to Prepare Ahead of Time
These healthy snack ideas take planning ahead, but they’re great for at home or on the go snacking. Make double batches to store and grab as needed.
Homemade Gluten Free Crackers with Chia Seeds
No-Bake Whole Food Protein Snacks (with nuts and seeds)
Almond Coconut Power Bars from Kitchen Stewardship – Delicious!
Homemade KIND bars from The Nourishing Home – This link goes to one variety; she has many including a nut-free one. I think I’ve tried them all! Definitely follow the mixing instructions.
Other Healthy Snack Resources
Healthy Snacks To Go – first e-book I ever bought! Many good recipes in here.
High Protein No Powder – informative resource for making bars and smoothies from whole food ingredients
What healthy snack ideas do you have to share?
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. If you choose to purchase through a link your cost does not change, but Joy In My Kitchen will make a few pennies.