This week I get to introduce you to some of my new neighbors online. And if you read all the way through, you’ll learn a little more about who I really am!
A few weeks ago Dara from Living Story nominated Joy In My Kitchen for a Liebster Award. Thank you, Dara!
Liebster is a German word that can mean sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, lovely, pleasant, valued or welcome. The award is given to encourage and welcome new (or relatively new) bloggers to the online community.
Dara’s Eleven Questions
1. Why do you blog?
My goal is to inspire other moms (and myself) to look for and create delight in the everyday things we do.
2. How did you come up with a name for your blog?
A lot of what goes on in my house takes place in the kitchen, either out of necessity or by default! The kitchen can also represent a lot of the repetitive work a mom spends time doing. I want to focus on the blessing of serving others through that work .
3. Tell me a little about your family.
We are a multi-racial family of seven. My husband and I have been married for nearly 14 years. God has allowed us to adopt all five of our children through foster care. We homeschool and are looking forward to beginning our own little homestead in a couple years.
4. How often do you blog?
I publish a new post every 4-7 days. I try to work on them a little bit each day but generally take a day off as soon as one is finished.
5. What goals do you have for your writing/blog?
I want to encourage readers to enjoy the families that God has given them by providing simple projects, tasty recipes, homeschool ideas and more. Eventually, I would like to get my children involved – perhaps in writing or photography. I would also like to generate some income that could be used toward developing our homestead or a future adoption.
6. What do you like most about blogging?
Once a post is published it doesn’t have to be washed, cleaned, or cooked again!
7. What do you like least about blogging?
Photography – the need for “perfect” images. And everything takes longer than I expect it to.
8. What causes are you passionate about?
9. If you could only let people know one thing about you, what would it be?
My life is not my own. Sometimes I forget that, but its true.
I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me, and delivered Himself up for me.
10. What is your favorite type of music and why?
Worship music – it puts my focus on God, strengthens my heart and helps me preach truth to myself.
11. Which of your posts are you most proud of?
A 3-part series about orphan care. The first part is called Orphan Care – Why Should You Care?
Eleven Facts About Me
- I grew up on a dairy farm in New Hampshire. Yes, I know how to milk a cow by hand!
- I met and married my husband in California.
- He took me to Hawaii for our honeymoon; I would have preferred to go to Alaska!
- When the twins were two, we went (as a family) on a missions trip to Alaska. I’d love to go back.
- I enjoy cooking, baking, gardening, walking/hiking and reading.
- I really like dark chocolate; I don’t like white chocolate.
- I don’t like being asked what my “favorite” anything is.
- I worked as a counselor at Red Cliff Bible Camp in Wyoming for 4 years. Our whole family got to go back for a visit this summer.
- I don’t drink coffee no matter how much sugar or flavor you add to it.
- Right now I’m wearing a pair of jeans I snagged out of a box of hand-me-downs given to my boys. Clothes shopping is a necessary evil; boxes of hand-me-downs are presents!
- I think pie is best eaten cold, room temperature actually, for breakfast.
My Nominations for the Liebster Award
I have enjoyed reading articles from each of these ladies. I would like to have any one of them live next door to me and am blessed to have “met” them here, online. The links to their blogs will take you directly to a post that I have appreciated.
Stephanie at Managing A Home (A Hummus Dinner Party)
Tarissa at Introverted Mama (About The Child She Didn’t Adopt)
Janelle at The Peaceful Haven (On What the Bible Says Kids Need)
Jess at Give Me Strength (Funny Narrative – Carseat Comedians)
Michelle at The Happiness Blogger (About Smiling)
Amie Jo at Life’s Little Projects (Family Date Ideas)
Anna at Path Through the Narrow Gate (Cute Paper Bag Owls)
Betsy at Faith Spilling Over (Are You a Drill Sergeant or a Mom?)
Beth at Speaking In Grace (What Happens When They’re Not Cute Anymore?)
Jessica at Rejoice The Heart (Part 1 of 21 Days to Tame Survival Mode)
Megan at Welcome to the Zoo (The Expedition)
My Questions for Them
Thank you for being my neighbors, ladies.
I look forward to keeping up with you – maybe one day we’ll meet in person.